North Central Alabama Susan G. Komen for the Cure
Susan G. Komen fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. Moved by Susan’s compassion for others and commitment to making a difference, Nancy G. Brinker promised her sister that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer.
Though Susan lost her battle with the disease, her legacy lives on through the work of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the organization Nancy started in her honor. Komen for the Cure is the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1.9 billion since its inception in 1982. Komen’s promise is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all and energizing science to find the cures.
Across the country, that promise is upheld by a network of 121 local Affiliate offices. At the heart of each Affiliate is a person or group of people who, like Susan, wanted to make a difference.
History of North Central Alabama Affiliate
The Komen North Central Alabama Affiliate was formed in 1994 by a group of concerned professionals and breast cancer survivors who were committed to saving and improving the lives of those affected by breast cancer. Locally, 75% of our net profits funds non-duplicative, community-based breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment projects for the medically underserved. The remaining 25% funds groundbreaking breast cancer research around the world.
According to the Alabama Department of Health, Center for Health Statistics, 1,418,047 females live within our 38 county service area. More than one-third or 497,821 live within the five counties of Greater Birmingham. In addition to serving women in these areas, the Komen North Central Alabama Affiliate also serves men, as breast cancer affects about 1 percent of American males.
The North Central Alabama area includes the counties of Bibb, Blount, Calhoun, Chambers, Cherokee, Chilton, Clay, Cleburne, Colbert, Coosa, Cullman, DeKalb, Etowah, Fayette, Franklin, Greene, Hale, Jackson, Jefferson, Lamar, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Limestone, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Morgan, Perry, Pickens, Randolph, Shelby, St. Clair, Sumter, Talladega, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Walker, and Winston.