IMPORTANT! Due to the response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) events on this site may be postponed or canceled. Please check with individual event organizations for their latest information about cancellations.
Lorenzo Dow established the first trading post in the area now containing the City of Jasper in the early 1800’s. In 1822, Dr. Gordon Musgrove donated the land for the town and built a log cabin that served as the courthouse, school and church. The town was named by Hugh Lollar in memory of the Revolutionary War hero Sgt. William Jasper who distinguished himself at the Battle of Fort Moultrie, South Carolina.
The City of Jasper was incorporated in 1887 with G. H. “Jake” Guttery serving as
© 2021 - Create Birmingham. All Rights Reserved.