P.O. Box 131255, Birmingham, Al 35213
The Friends of Avondale Park, formed in 1989, is a non-profit organization dedicated to the restoration, maintenance, and full utilization of Avondale Park. The Park's 40 acre form a dedicated municipal park maintained by the Park & Recreations Department of the City of Birmingham.
This jewel of Birmingham's Southside was created when the Town of Avondale was merged into Birmingham in the early 1900's. It once was the location of the Birmingham Zoo, and its large pond is fed from a spring that once provided water for farmland.
FOAP has been the driving force behind restorations of the historic WPA-built Villa on the hilltop and amphitheater in the lower park. The baseball fields have recently been reconfigured and a modern clubhouse with restrooms and clubhouse was added.
For a brief history of Avondale Park, read its Wiki page