Historic Building/Landmark - Park/Garden
225 Parkway Dr, Trussville, AL 35173
Trussville’s Mall in the center of the historical district was designed to resemble the Mall in Washington, D.C. with the school and commissary (now the Chamber of Commerce) anchoring the east end. This district contains 287 residential units consisting of triplexes, duplexes and single family homes. These homes were originally rented to families, before being offered for sale in the early 1940’s. The area had schools, sewer, indoor bathroom facilities, paved streets with curbs and gutters, parks and sidewalks. This was the first planned unit development in Trussville and is still a very desired address to this day. All homes had lots large enough for a garden spot with a shed to house a cow and chickens. Remember, this was established during the Great Depression. The City of Trussville has received a historical designation for the Cahaba Homestead Village Historic District from the Alabama Historical Preservation Commission and has been listed on the National Historic Register in Washington D.C.